100,000 Rally Against Brexit in London, Almost Half Of Britons Want 2nd Referendum
JUN 24, 2018: Ten of thousands of people opposed to Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union marched in London on Saturday, two years after the referendum in favor of Brexit as new poll shows almost half of British people want a second referendum on Brexit.
Polling suggests shift in favor of a new public vote, which has received support from the Liberal Democrats, Green Party, and some Labor MPs
Organizers of the march, called People’s Vote, estimated the attendance at 100,000, according The Guardian and The Independent.
The march — the largest protest since the 2016 referendum, culminated in a rally at Parliament Square with speeches from politicians. Many demonstrators booed when they passed Downing Street and some chanted “Where’s Jeremy Corbyn?”.
Caroline Lucas, a parliament member and co-leader of the Green Party, said she doesn’t back the government’s “vision of a mean-minded little Britain.”
“I believe that Brexit will be a disaster for this country,” she said to a cheering crowd in a video posted on Facebook. “I want to say that given the overwhelming evidence that it would make all of us poorer in so many ways, it is our patriotic duty to do everything we can to secure a people’s vote.”
The group wants citizens to vote on a final deal.
The government plans to give parliament a vote on the final deal later this year. The departure date has been set for March 29, 2019.
In 2016, 52 percent voted in favor of leaving the European Union. The latest survey published shortly before the London rally found that 53 per cent of voters now back remaining in the EU, compared to 47 per cent who still want to leave – a boost for campaigners who believe a “people’s vote” could stop Brexit.
As the change has become political, the government has struggled to agree on a departure.
Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable said the departure “not a done deal.”
Former prime ministers Tony Blair and Sir John Major have come out in favor of a public vote on the final deal, and groups such as Best for Britain and the People’s Vote, who have taken to the streets of London today, continue to campaign for voters to have the final say on Brexit.
Conservative minister Pete Bone had a differing view.”The vast, vast majority of people, whether they are Leavers or Remainers, just want us to get on and come out of this dreadful European Union super-state.” “There were 17.4 million people that voted for leave and if there are a few thousand in London complaining about it — that doesn’t seem to really make much difference,” he added.
Sri Lanka President Chairs Security Council Meeting After Top Court Restores Parliament
Lanka’s President chaired a security council meeting today attended by Chief of Defense Staff, tri-forcesRead More
Is India’s Nuclear Sub ‘Arihant’ Modi’s Show and Tell Ahead of Elections?
It’s time of elections in India. Five crucial state elections are being held during theRead More