Eleven companies, including international and local joint ventures, have so far submitted bids for the proposed multi-billion dollars Peshawar Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project.
The bidding process, which began on June 29, is likely to complete during the current month. Formal groundbreaking ceremony for the $470 million (Rs49.34bn) project is likely to take place on or about August 14.
A senior project official, who did not want to be named, said 11 companies had submitted bids for the three phases of the project.
He said eight companies had submitted bids for reach I and II of the project and four others for the reach II.
The official said among those interested in reach I and II were four Chinese companies, an Azeri company and National Logistic Cell (NLC), while there were also some joint ventures also among the bidders.
Three companies, including two Chinese and a joint venture of Turkish and Pakistani companies, have submitted bids for reach-II, the official said.
Another senior official told Dawn “The groundbreaking is likely to take place on August 14. The contractor will be mobilized by the last week of the same month,” he said.
In addition to ADB, the European Investment Bank and French Development Agency, have committed to providing $75 million each for the project.
The official said the companies, which would be awarded different reaches of the project, had to complete their respective work within six months.
“They will work day and night to complete the project on time,” he said.
About traffic problems to be caused by the digging of city roads from one end to the other, the official said 14 alternative routes had already been identified, while work had also been carried out on them to accommodate the higher number of vehicles.
He added that the BRT corridor would be partially closed to traffic during the execution of the project.
The official insisted that the Peshawar BRT would cost less compared to similar projects executed in Islamabad, Multan and Lahore.