Diners at Indian restaurant in UK rush out after finding cockroaches

MAMOSA Report — Diners were forced to abandon their meals at an Indian restaurant after health inspectors found an infestation of cockroaches.

Sand’s in Leicester, UK, was shut with immediate effect following a tip-off from a member of the public.

Britain has a long history of links with Indian food and the industry is estimated to be worth 5-6 billion dollars, but instances of unhealthy practices are not unknown, particularly those related to health inspectors finding major deficiencies in kitchens, such as mouse droppings and cockroaches.

Inspectors found live adult and baby German cockroaches and egg cases in the main food preparation area and in its stores on 4 February.

The restaurant was shut on the spot. Inspectors found both dead and alive cockroaches in the kitchen, the Leicester Mercury has reported.

They also found large quantities of open and uncovered food were left out on kitchen surfaces, and that there was food debris, grease and grime on many surfaces.

On the restaurant’s TripAdvisor page, one reviewer posted: “During our meal the restaurant advised us they had to close due to an incident.

“We’ve later discovered they were served a prohibition order due to cockroaches.”

The restaurant owners have a few weeks to make improvements before a new inspection.

A note has been posted on the restaurant door which reads: “We are taking this opportunity to refurbish and update our equipment… to ensure that we provide the best possible environment for our valued guests.”

The German cockroach, which can be found around the world, is the most common type of cockroach in the UK.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *