May 3, 2018 (DESPARDES/PKONWEB) — DNA tests have revealed that the man who blew himself up outside the US Consulate in Jeddah in summer of 2016, was Indian national Fayaz Kagzi, Saudi Authorities confirmed to Indian Security officials.
Kagzi’s DNA samples were sent by India to Saudi Arabia in August 2017.
“We have received confirmation from Saudi Arabian authorities that the DNA samples of Kagzi sent by us last year have matched those of the Jeddah bomber, ” a senior security official told The Indian Express.
“Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad raised suspicions about the identity of the bomber after photographs released by Saudi Arabian authorities resembled those of Kagzi, and a Letter Rogatory was sent,” the paper cited an official as saying.
The bomber’s identity was established on the basis of DNA samples from Kagzi’s family. “Saudi Arabian authorities sought DNA samples of Kagzi’s family members.”
The bomber was initially thought to be Pakistani driver Abdullah Qalzar Khan, 34, who lived in Jeddah, before the Saudi authorities informed India that he was in fact Indian national Kagzi.
The paper also mentioned sources as saying that Kagzi probably joined the Islamic State in 2014 and then carried out the attack in Jeddah.
The 4th of July 2016 attack in the Kingdom involved three blasts. The first one was outside the US consulate in Jeddah in which two security officers had received injuries, the second near a mosque in Qatif and the third outside Prophet’s Mosque in Medina.
The bomber who hailed from Maharashtra was based in Saudi Arabia since 2009 and shifted to Pakistan in 2013, a Times of India report said.
The report said Kagzi was a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative wanted in the 2010 German Bakery blasts and the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.