PKonweb Report — The Islamic State terror outfit claimed Tuesday that one of its “soldiers” carried out suicide blast in Manchester that killed at least 22 people, including teenagers and others streaming out of a pop concert.
British police said the blast on Monday night at the concert where US singer Ariana Grande had been performing was being treated as a terrorist incident.
According to one political analyst cited by CNBC News, the suspected suicide attack was likely yet another lone-wolf incident rather than the work of international terror networks,
No details are known about the identities of parties involved in the attack. However, U.K. and U.S. officials said they may have tentatively identified the bomber, reported NBC News.
“It is highly unlikely that this is part of some coordinated attack from overseas,” Richard Fenning, global CEO at political consultancy Control Risks, said on CNBC while discussing the attack.
A homeless man sleeping near the Manchester Arena rushed to help young victims as soon as the attack occurred killing dozens and injuring more than 50.”It’s just instinct to go and help, if someone needed your help,” he told ITV. “We had to pull nails out of children’s faces.”
Authorities believe they know the identity of the assailant, said British Prime Minister Theresa May, “but at this stage of their investigations, we cannot confirm his name.”
British investigators, according to The Washington Post, appeared to narrow their probe on one suspected assailant — whose name was not made public — and police teams fanned out around the northern city after the worse terrorist strike in Britain in more than a decade.
In a statement, the Greater Manchester Police said that they arrested a 23-year-old man in south Manchester in connection with the attack as hundreds of police swarmed through the city in the aftermath of the blast, according to WP.
“We believe at this stage the attack last night was conducted by one man,” said Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins at a televised news conference. “We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device, which he detonated, causing this atrocity.”
Many kids are feared missing. Desperate parents and friends have been searching frantically for loved ones.
Fifteen people have been confirmed missing by family and friends following the attack, reported Daily Telegraph. A 14-year-old girl, believed to have been using crutches on the night of the concert, has been reported missing.
A witness who attended the concert said she felt a huge blast as she was leaving the arena, followed by screaming and a rush as thousands of people trying to escape.
“We were making our way out and when we were right by the door there was a massive explosion and everybody was screaming,” concert goer Catherine Macfarlane said.
“It was a huge explosion you could feel it in your chest. It was chaotic. Everybody was running and screaming and just trying to get out.”
Witnesses reported that many children were at the concert.
Recent attacks on European soil reveal the development of self-radicalized individuals, as reflected by the Westminster Bridge incident, Fenning explained to CNBC. These people have chosen to duck below society’s radar, got personal issues that lead them to self-alienation as well as a willingness to inflict serious violence, he continued.
“The nature of modern terror attacks in Europe is entirely sporadic in what motivates people to do it.”
Still, the extent of strategic planning behind the explosion at one of Europe’s largest indoor stadiums was impressive, pointed out another analyst.
“The actual placement of the suicide bomber or device was put there with a specific intent to kill so this was a well-thought out plan,” Fred Burton, chief security officer at Stratfor and former U.S. State Department counter-terrorism agent, told CNBC. “This was a certainly a very successful operation from the eyes of whoever carried this off.”