Days earlier, the Pakistan Army Chief while reiterating the country was confronting hybrid warfare (5th generation war) called for a comprehensive national response.
ISLAMABAD (Nov 23, 2018): The Chinese consulate in Karachi’s posh Clifton neighborhood witnessed a foiled terror attack Friday afternoon, as another attack earlier in the day in Orakzai tribal district’s Hangu district left 25 dead and many injured–officials say it was a suicide bombing.
The attack targeting the Chinese Consulate in the metropolis left at least seven people dead. Two policemen lost their lives due to multiple injuries caused by explosive material.
Three terrorists were killed in the operation by security forces, according to Sindh Police and the army’s media wing.
Karachi Police Chief Amir Shaikh told media the three attackers came in a car filled with explosives but failed to get inside the heavily fortified compound. “They could not even get in the compound. They tried to get into the visa section”.
The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), a militant organization, claimed responsibility for the foiled attack on Chinese Consulate in the country’s economic powerhouse, ARY News reported.
The explosion in Hangu in the northern part of the country earlier this morning, which according to officials was a suicide bombing, took place near an imambargah (Shia mosque) on Friday morning.
Prime Minister Imran Khan “strongly condemned” the terrorist attack in lower Orakzai as well as the one foiled on Chinese Consulate in Karachi. The premier this week had made 2 successful trips–one to UAE and another to Malaysia as part of his outreach to friendly countries.
The two trips followed his 5-day visit to China weeks after his visit to Saudi Arabia.
Commenting on the Karachi incident, the prime minister said it “was clearly a reaction to the unprecedented trade agreements that resulted from our trip to China. The attack was intended to scare Chinese investors and undermine CPEC. These terrorists will not succeed.”
“Let there be no doubt in anyone’s mind: we will crush the terrorists, whatever it takes,” the premier said via Twitter.
“Both these attacks are part of a planned campaign to create unrest in the country by those who do not want Pakistan to prosper”.
The premier condemned both the attacks and said: “My prayers go to the victims and their families. Salute the brave security/police personnel who gave their lives and denied success to terrorists in the mission against Chinese Consulate.”
Earlier, a statement said that the prime minister has ordered a complete inquiry into the Chinese Consulate attack. “[The] incident is part of conspiracy against Pak and China economic and strategic cooperation,” read the statement, adding: “However, such incidents will never be able to undermine Pak-China relationship that is mightier than Himalaya and deeper than Arabian sea.”
“Karachi police and Rangers have shown exceptional courage and nation salutes the martyrs and their colleagues for acting so vigilantly, their gallantry is something we are proud of.”
While addressing the National Assembly, Leader of the Opposition Shahbaz Sharif said the incident in Karachi was worrisome, adding that China had stood by Pakistan through all bad times and helped it at all international forums.
“This incident has created a wave of worry in the country. It indicates how much the Pak-China friendship unnerves opponents.”
Days earlier, the Pakistan Army Chief had reiterated that the country was confronting hybrid warfare (5th generation war) and called for a comprehensive national response.
PPP chairperson Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari said he was “absolutely heartbreaking to hear about the great loss of life in the attack in Lower Orakzai” and urged the implementation of the National Action Plan (NAP).