Vitamin E plays the role of antioxidant, preventing free radical damage to specific fats in the body that are critical for our health and naturally slowing aging. And believe it or not, vitamin E benefits don’t end there. Other vitamin E benefits include its role as an important fat-soluble vitamin that’s required for the proper function of many organs, enzymatic activities and neurological processes.
Vitamin E deficiency symptoms include loss of muscle coordination and impaired vision and speech.
Benefits of consuming more vitamin E-rich foods can include treating and preventing diseases of the heart and blood vessels, such as chest pains, high blood pressure, and blocked or hardened arteries. Vitamin E is found only in plant foods, including certain oils, nuts, grains, fruits and wheat germ. It’s also available as a supplement.
Top 11 Vitamin E Benefits
1. Balances Cholesterol
2. Fights Free Radicals and Prevents Disease Development
3. Repairs Damaged Skin
4. Thickens Hair
5. Balances Hormones
6. Helps PMS Symptoms
7. Improves Vision
8. Helps People with Alzheimer’s Disease
9. May Lower Cancer Risk and Improve Effects of Medical Treatments
10. Improves Physical Endurance and Muscle Strength
11. Important During Pregnancy for Growth and Development
Vitamin E Foods
- Sunflower Seeds: 1 cup — 33.41 milligrams (220 percent)
- Almonds: 1 cup — 32.98 milligrams (218 percent)
- Hazelnuts: 1 cup — 20.29 milligrams (133 percent)
- Wheat Germ: 1 cup plain, uncooked — 18 milligrams (120 percent)
- Mango: 1 whole raw — 3.02 milligrams (20 percent)
- Avocado: One whole raw — 2.68 milligrams (18 percent)
- Butternut Squash: 1 cup cooked and cubed squash — 2.64 milligrams (17 percent)
- Broccoli: 1 cup cooked — 2.4 milligrams (12 percent)
- Spinach: ½ cup cooked or about 2 cups uncooked — 1.9 milligrams (10 percent)
- Kiwi: 1 medium — 1.1 milligrams (6 percent)
- Tomato: 1 raw — 0.7 milligram (4 percent)
Vitamin E may be unsafe when taken in very high amounts, especially for people who have conditions such as heart disease or diabetes. If you suffer from these health issues, do not take doses of 400 IU/day or more.