MAMOSA Report — US President Donald Trump will issue a new executive order to replace his controversial directive suspending travel to the United States by citizens of seven mostly Muslim countries.
At a White House news conference on Thursday, Trump said the new order would seek to address concerns raised by federal appeals court judges, who temporarily blocked his original travel and visa ban. “The new order is going to be very much tailored to what I consider to be a very bad decision,” Trump said, adding: “We had a bad court.”
Trump gave no details about the replacement order. Legal experts said a new directive would have a better chance of withstanding courtroom scrutiny if it covered some non-Muslim countries and exempted non-citizen immigrants living in the US legally.
The ban has been deeply divisive in the United States, with a Reuters/Ipsos poll indicating about half of Americans supported it shortly after the order took effect.
The justice department said in a brief to the appeals court that it plans to rescind the ban and issue a new executive order to eliminate ‘erroneous constitutional concerns’ after the appeals court ruled in favor of stay order on the travel ban.
The Washington state attorney general’s office, which led the successful suit against the travel ban, tweeted that the justice department’s filing was “conceding defeat”.
Last week a congressional aide who asked not to be identified told Reuters that Trump might rewrite the original order to explicitly exclude green card holders, who have legal permission to live and work in the United States.
Meanwhile, Harvard, Yale and Stanford joined 14 other top universities in the United States to file on Monday a lawsuit against the travel ban on seven Muslim-majority nations and refugees, citing “serious and chilling implications”.
The case, registered in New York federal court in support of an existing lawsuit, states that the executive orders restricts schools from “meeting their goals of educating tomorrow’s leaders from around the world”.
The original Trump order, issued on Jan. 27, triggered chaos at some US and overseas airports, led to international protests, complaints from US businesses and drew more than a dozen legal challenges.