Trump’s new travel ban doesn’t keep U.S. safe, say lawmakers of South Asian descent

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (MAMOSA Report): The revised executive order, temporarily halting entry to the United States for people from six Muslim-majority nations while dropping Iraq from the list, “does not make U.S. safe”, top Indian American lawmakers said.

Meanwhile, police in Kent, Washington, are searching for the man who shot a 39-year-old Sikh man in his driveway on Friday night, after reportedly shouting “Go back to your own country.” The victim, identified as Deep Rai — an American citizen, born in India — was released from the hospital on Saturday and is recovering from the bullet wound to his arm, but the Indian-American community is rattled by the attack and a strikingly similar one at a bar outside Kansas City a week earlier.

“Make no mistake: this ban does not keep us safe. It puts American lives at risk while isolating the Muslim community at a time when we need to address the threat of homegrown extremism. No matter the changes, this executive action remains immoral and fundamentally un-American,” California Senator Kamala Harris said.

“No matter the changes, this executive action remains immoral and fundamentally un-American,” California Senator Kamala Harris said.

Harris, who is the first Indian American US Senator was joined by other four Indian Americans in the House of Representatives – Ami Bera, Raja Krishnamoorthi, Ro Khanna and Pramila Jayapal, the first Indian American woman to be elected to the House.

“While I welcome the decision to omit Iraq from the list of banned countries, the President still has an obligation to provide evidence of a national security threat posed by immigrants and refugees from the remaining six countries,” Harris said.

“Omitting one country from the list does not eliminate the need to provide the American people with meaningful evidence supporting this ban. The White House had more than a month to develop their case, and has failed to provide actual justification based on facts,” she added.

Jayapal said, in his new executive order, Trump has been forced to recognise that his original travel ban was both “unconstitutional” and “ineptly” executed.

“The new order recognizes that we must honor the visas of those who already have been given clearance to come to the United States, as well as excludes legal permanent residents and dual citizens affected by the ban,” she said.

“It also excludes Iraq from the list of the banned countries, another clear sign that such a ban would hurt our coalition efforts for peace in the Middle East. It should not have taken the courts and nationwide protests to stop such an order from taking effect in the first place,” she said.

The president was “irresponsible” in “throwing” the country into chaos and putting fear in the hearts of millions of families, she added.

In the Kansas attack, a 51-year-old white man named Adam Purinton is accused of yelling at two Indian-born engineers, Srinivas Kuchibhotla and Alok Madasani, about their immigration status, then after he was kicked out of the bar, coming back and shooting them, killing Kuchibhotla and wounding Madasani and a bar patron who intervened to stop him. Purinton reportedly yelled “get out of my country.” President Trump touched on that murder in a speech last week, saying America “stands united in condemning hate and evil in all of its very ugly forms.”

Indian-Americans aren’t so sure, and neither is India, which sends hundreds of thousands of immigrants to the U.S. each year on legal work visas (a popular one, the H1-B, is being curtailed by the Trump administration). The Seattle-area attack was front-page news in India.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *